Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet red light trouble

• 13-09-2013 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭

Im kinda at my wits end to be honest. For the past 2 weeks my broadband each night is bloody awful. I get a red internet light each night. Its bad enough i have to put up with awful pings but now I cant even browse the internet.

Eircom customer service is beyond a joke. They close the ticket I had with them regarding this problem yesterday and the same problem happen last night and tonight and they refuse to open a new ticket until it happens again. Some times the internet will become green again but that is after a bit of time or a restart might fix the problem or not. The engineer replaced the filter on the socket and hoped that might solve the trouble, nope! Its also a new modem/router and iv use 3rd party routers and same trouble.

Eircom dont see a fault on the line so im wondering what could cause this kind of trouble im having?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I cant go 5 mins without the internet going :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I'm assuming it's the Zyxel (black) eircom modem?
    If Eircom can't see an issue on the line, there may be an internal problem.
    What are the line stats reported in the router configuration?

Edit: Do you know what speed your connection is set to also?

Its the eircom D1000 Modem

Im positive its not an internal issue tbh, but I could be wrong. I think it says alot when the red light happens during congestion period. My broadband turns to bits during 6pm to midnight

my stats

3072 kbps/384 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 7.0 dB/ 5.5 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 42.0 dB/ 13.0 dB.

Right beside the exchange and can only get 3mb broadband. The exchange has a limited backhaul

edit

thanks for help so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Is it possible to isolate your own wiring/equipment by unscrewing the front plate on the master socket and plugging the modem in there to see if it makes any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

Headshot wrote: »

Im positive its not an internal issue tbh, but I could be wrong. I think it says alot when the red light happens during congestion period. My broadband turns to bits during 6pm to midnight

my stats

3072 kbps/384 kbps

Right beside the exchange and can only get 3mb broadband. The exchange has a limited backhaul

edit

thanks for help so far

you have answered your problem yourself

With what your explaining and after saying nothing ever is gonna get better until eircom update the exchange and thats if they ever do

exchange is over subscribed and doesn't have the bandwidth to cope with the amount of users it has, this is why its so bad at peak times & is also why when they test the line it comes up as perfect as its not the line at fault but the sheer lack of backhaul they have to the exchange

• Advertisement

my stats

3072 kbps/384 kbps

edit

thanks for help so far

Which exchange are you on?
    pbarr wrote: »
    Is it possible to isolate your own wiring/equipment by unscrewing the front plate on the master socket and plugging the modem in there to see if it makes any difference.

This. Eliminate all the variables you have control over.
    dazdrog wrote: »
    you have answered your problem yourself

With what your explaining and after saying nothing ever is gonna get better until eircom update the exchange and thats if they ever do

exchange is over subscribed and doesn't have the bandwidth to cope with the amount of users it has, this is why its so bad at peak times & is also why when they test the line it comes up as perfect as its not the line at fault but the sheer lack of backhaul they have to the exchange

Exchange backhaul isn't going to cause a drop in authentication though.

Im on the golden exchange (county tipperary)

Basically I have cat5e connected to the eircom cable coming in from the house. It extends it to the socket near my modem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Move the modem to the main socket and see if there is any changes to the noise margin. Leave it there this evening and see if its still happening.

there isnt any mains socket, its a dummy socket that holds the eircom cable that comes from outside and is connected to the cat5e and I run that cat5e to the socket near my modem

on another note my internet went there again, first time in the day time. ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

there isnt any mains socket, its a dummy socket that holds the eircom cable that comes from outside and is connected to the cat5e and I run that cat5e to the socket near my modem

you do know that you ment to have the eircom socket at the point where the eircom cable comes into the house? your not ment to have it extended to anywhere. it should b a straight run from outside your house to the point inside your house in one run with no connections made to the line

id recommend putting the socket where its ment to be with no other connections, and plug it in there. take notes of your specs before and after u do so to see if anythings changed and leave it there for a good while to test if your connection is more stable

L1 on the socket is the blue/white striped wire and L2 is the White/blue striped wire if i remember correct, altho this could all depend on how your house was wired if u have orange/white wires just replace what ive said above with the same of opp colour

• Advertisement

dazdrog wrote: »
    you do know that you ment to have the eircom socket at the point where the eircom cable comes into the house? your not ment to have it extended to anywhere. it should b a straight run from outside your house to the point inside your house in one run with no connections made to the line

id recommend putting the socket where its ment to be with no other connections, and plug it in there. take notes of your specs before and after u do so to see if anythings changed and leave it there for a good while to test if your connection is more stable

L1 on the socket is the blue/white striped wire and L2 is the White/blue striped wire if i remember correct, altho this could all depend on how your house was wired if u have orange/white wires just replace what ive said above with the same of opp colour
    you are wrong, makes no difference like having a limited backhaul makes no difference......

Im on the golden exchange (county tipperary)
    Crud. I know it well, and a few people on it, indeed.

A little black box just inside the building, aye? Could we get a pic just in case?

Okay, so you've got some CAT5 rigged up to this box to the modem, right?

1.) Does it extend to a socket, or is it just terminated to an RJ11 plug connected directly into the modem?
    2.) Is there any other wiring to any other devices? (fax/phone/skybox/extension socket etc.)

Xw2AUail.jpg

So that's the main socket where the eircom cables comes in and you can see I joined it to the cat 5 e which runs thru the house to a socket near the eircom modem/router. Then the the modem/router is connected to the socket by a RJ11 cable

And on that socket there's a phone too

Are there any more sockets off the main one? If yes you'd need to get them disconnected, if no it nearly has to be an exchange problem like a faulty port.

All the sockets are disabled except the one beside the modem

I think you'll need to get them to open a new ticket for it as it has to be the exchange. If I were you I would tell tech support that its much wore than it is. They would be able to look back at the modem and if it was losing sync they would be able to tell but I don't think they would know whenever the red light came on. I used to work as an eircom tech so I know that the broadband port in the exchange was sometimes responsible for that kind of problem. It would need to be changed if only to rule it out.

And on that socket there's a phone too
    I assume both are connected to the socket with a filter?
    All the sockets are disabled except the one beside the modem
    Are they physically disconnected from where the line enters the building, or disconnected at the respective sockets?
    pbarr wrote: »
    I think you'll need to get them to open a new ticket for it as it has to be the exchange. If I were you I would tell tech support that its much wore than it is. They would be able to look back at the modem and if it was losing sync they would be able to tell but I don't think they would know whenever the red light came on. I used to work as an eircom tech so I know that the broadband port in the exchange was sometimes responsible for that kind of problem. It would need to be changed if only to rule it out.

They'd know if the modem has dropped connection (red light), as it would appear as a disconnected session even if sync is maintained.

At this point, there's still as much of a chance of it being internal as external. I'd definitely try isolate the modem first off, by bringing it down to the point of entry and connecting straight to the wiring with some new CAT5. This rules out filters and the internal wiring itself. At least then you can full confidence in your own setup.
    Meanwhile, keep pressuring Eircom to have the line/exchange checked again.

Advertisement